Skip to main content


We recognise that people who come into contact with our services, may have vulnerabilities or well-being needs in addition to the clinical care that we provide. These additional requirements can range from social care needs to protection from harm and can effect children and adults who are unable to protect themselves from harm.

We are statutory partners with Local Authorities, Health Boards and other health and social care agencies as defined by the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014 and the subsequent guidelines and procedures. Together with other organisations across Wales, we have a shared responsibility to ensure that we actively prevent children, young people and adults from being abused and neglected; and safeguard those who are at risk of harm. This includes those who experience Violence against Women, Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence in our communities. We are an active partner in reducing the harm caused by these forms of violence perpetrated against all people in Wales, irrespective of gender or sexual orientation.

For advice and support:

Live Fear Free is a Welsh Government website, providing information and advice for those suffering with domestic abuse, sexual violence and other forms of violence against women. The Live Fear Free website is available at You can also contact Live Fear Free by telephone or email:

The Safeguarding Team support us to ensure that Legislative and Welsh Government Adult and Child Protection guidance requirements are being fulfilled.

The dedicated and experienced Team deliver training and provide support for our practitioners to achieve their statutory duties to safeguard and protect the wellbeing of the communities we serve.

The Team are aligned with the Health Board areas and localities across Wales; facilitating the reporting of concerns, supporting partner agencies in the investigation of abuse or neglect and contributing to the development of safe practice and procedures throughout the principality.

What to do if you are concerned about a child or adult at risk

Members of the public have an important role to play in helping to protect children and adults who are vulnerable or at risk from harm.

Don’t think what if I’m wrong, think what if I’m right.

If you know a child or adult who is vulnerable is at risk of abuse or is being abused, it’s very important that you let your local social services or dial 101 and let the police know.

If they are in direct danger, call the Emergency Services immediately on 999. If not, telephone your local Social Services as soon as possible to share your concerns.

Who else can help?

Barnardo's Cymru work with vulnerable children, young people, families and communities, helping them to build a better future. Website:


Childline provides help for anyone under 19 in the UK with any issue they’re going through. Website:


ECPAT UK is a leading children’s rights organisation working to protect children from child trafficking and transnational child exploitation. Website:



Action on Elder Abuse (AEA) Cymru is a specialist charity committed to preventing abuse
against older people. As the only charity in Wales to focus solely on elder abuse, we have the expertise and the experience to support victims, their families and those who care for them. Helpline number: 080 8808 8141. Website:


The Silver line is a 24 hour free confidential helpline, providing information, friendship and advice to older people.  Open every day of the year. Phone: 0800 4 70 80 90. Website:  

Call 08000 121 700 to get help, report a suspicion or seek advice. Website:


Bawso support workers work with survivors to create individual support plans, which can include financial help, support accessing health services and treatment, specialist counselling, criminal and immigration-related legal advice, education and employment opportunities and other support as needed. Bawso provide accommodation for men and women as part of their support. They can also work on an outreach basis with those who do not require accommodation.  If you need help you can contact an Advice Worker on 029 20644633 or 0800 7318147. Website:


Key Legislation Documents:

Advocacy services

If you are not happy about the care you have had from the ambulance service you may want to speak to an advocate.  An advocate is someone who can help you speak up and get your views heard.  They can provide you with support, information and advice and help you make a complaint if you want to.  An advocate is independent from the health service and will speak with you confidentially.  You are entitled to an advocate free of charge. 

To arrange an advocate you need to contact your local Health Board, find the contact details here.

In addition if you need more advice or support you could ring MEIC the national advocacy and support line for children and young people on 080880 23456 or online at

Share On: